Still Reeling...


This story has been done many, many, many times before, but the 2012 version is officially the most powerful and raw musical that I have seen in my life...and I like my musicals.

The casting was great.  I gained a little more respect for Anne Hathaway and even though Geoffrey Rush will always be my favorite Javert, Russell Crowe gave my goosebumps each time he took the screen.  I have been a fan of Amanda Seyfried ever since Mama Mia (okay, Mean Girls) and I was very happy to fall in love with Eddie Reymayne all over again since his amazing role in the Pillars of the Earth miniseries.

The thing that made this musical stand above all the rest?  On set singing.  None of that prerecorded lip syncing for Hugh Jackman and his other stars.  They approached this movie as if it were just another performance of a Broadway play.  And it showed.  

One things that bothered me (and it was not fault of the movie) was little Cosette's 'Castle on a Cloud' kept reminding me of the opening to Final Fantasy IX!

Castle on a Cloud:

Final Fantasy IX Opening:

The difference is recognizable, but it was close enough for me to get sidetracked.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across this blog post after googling "Final Fantasy 9 + castle on a cloud" ha.

Its nice to know it wasn't just me being bugged by the similarities when watching the film!

Either way, a fantastic performance by everyone involved.