Homemade Gingerbread House

This is my first gingerbread house (completely from scratch)!  I used a vintage recipe (Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie recipe), but I think I will try a different recipe next time.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Gingerbread

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening or lard
1 cup molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Blend sugar and shortening in a large bowl.
  2. Add molasses.
  3. Boil water in a small pot.  
  4. Add baking soda and stir until disolved.
  5. Pour the water into the bowl and stir well.
  6. Add two well-beaten eggs.
  7. In a medium bowl, combine flour, spices, and salt.
  8. Stir into large bowl.
  9. Spread mixture into two 9 x 13 baking pan (greased or lined in parchment paper).
  10. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
I am a big fan of cream cheese icing, so I decided to make some instead of the sturdier frosting that harden as they dry.  It may have been more messy, but the taste made up for it.

Here is the cream cheese recipe that I have been putting on almost everthing:

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 Tablespoons softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
a small amount of milk
  1.  Combine butter, sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract, and salt into a medium bowl. 
  2. Add a small amount of milk (about a Tablespoon).
  3. Using a mixer, beat well until light and fluffy.
  4. Try not to eat it all.
A good way to control the icing is to put it in a Ziploc bag and cut a small piece of the corner off.  This icing is a little sticky and tends to melt if left out too long, but the taste is worth it.  Squeeze the icing into cracks and seams to build any type of gingerbread house you want.

My gingerbread house template is very basic.  Also, I placed some supports inside to keep the roof from collapsing.


Here is my house before I brought the candy out.  Sadly, I had so much fun, I forgot to take process pictures.... Some decorations include Cherry Pull-n-Peels, Fortune Cookie Wafers, Dark Chocolate, Peppermint sticks, Dots, M&Ms, and white chocolate covered strawberries (unfortunately they started melting).

Next, my sister let it snow with some powdered sugar!





1 comment:

Raven said...

oh, that's lovely. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to know that the cream cheese icing works well, it tastes way better in my opinion.