A Hearty Dish

Not only is Shepherd's Pie a simple, filling meal, it is a great way to use up some of those veggies in your fridge.  It has been a long time since I've looked at a recipe while making this dish, because I almost never make the same Shepherd's Pie twice.  It is amazing how diverse this meal can actually become.


The overall format of the recipe is really easy.  Layer 1 is veggies.  Whatever kind you want.  A good starting point is green beans and corn.  Layer 2 is meat with a little gravy.  Traditionally, this dish is made with lamb, but beef  in brown gravy is my go-to combination.  Turkey would probably make a good substitute.  Layer 3 is mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, whatever you can think of potatoes (I've just decided I'm going to try sweet potato one of these days).  Layer 4 is simply covering it with a cheese of your choice (I usually go for cheddar).

Whatever you choose, put it all together in a casserole pan and bake it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until bubbly and cheese is golden brown.

Printables: Recipe

No comments: