Scones, Scones, Scones

Today I will share with you one of my favorite snack recipes.  With one base recipe, you can make just about any type of scones that you want.  Here are my top three favorite variety of scones:  cinnamon apple, chocolate chip, and pumpkin.

 

Scone Base

2 cups flour
7 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking power
6 tbs cold butter (diced)
1 cup milk
 

First, whisk together the dry ingredients and then you are going to "cut in" the butter.  Ordinarily, I would have spent 10+ minutes stabbing at butter chunks; however, my sister introduced me to this lovely piece of machinery.   I know, I'm really late to the game, but after about 20 seconds of holding down a button, I had just the consistency I needed and no aching arm.
 

No matter the method of cutting in the butter, add the milk and stir until mixed.  The dough should be elastic--if it is too sticky, don't be afraid to add a tablespoon or so of flour.
 

That is all for the base.  Now you need to decide what type of scone you are craving.  I usually cannot make up my mind, so I often make several different types by dividing the above base recipe into equal parts.  To avoid confusion, the below recipes are proportioned for the full recipe.

1 apple grated

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon


Simply add these ingredients directly into the base recipe and stir until combined.  Again, if the dough is too sticky add some more flour because the next step can get messy.

 

Flour the counter and gently pat the dough into a circle.  Depending on the size, cut the dough into even wedges and place on a baking sheet.  

 

1 cup of chocolate chips

 

The easiest recipe.  Find that bag of half eaten chocolate that you know you stash away for emergencies and sprinkle as many or as few as you want.  Cut the dough into wedges as shown in the above recipe.

 

6 tablespoons pumpkin

1 teaspoon cloves

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg


Enjoy the holidays with these simple and delicious scones.  Stir the above ingredients into the base recipe (add a little flour if you find it too sticky) and cut into wedges.




No matter what variety scones you choose, cooking temperature and time will remain the same.  Preheat the oven for 425 Fahrenheit and while you are waiting, sprinkle some sugar or cinnamon on top. Bake 15-20 minutes.  The scones should be golden brown and should spring back when you tap on them.  


Enjoy!  I sure did.

 

Printables: Cinnamon Apple Scones, Chocolate Chip Scones, and Pumpkin Scones

No comments: